Simon Clarke MP is seeking an Administrative Officer to join his established team in Guisborough. There is scope for this to be a part time position for the right candidate subject to mutual agreement.
This new position will be a varied role, which will provide the successful applicant with the opportunity to get involved with all aspects of Simon’s work as MP for Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland. Simon’s team is wholly based in the constituency, therefore the post may also involve occasional travel to Westminster depending on business requirements.
Previous experience of working in politics is not required, though a desire to make a positive difference to constituents’ lives is essential and an active interest in current affairs would be beneficial. This is a public facing position so a good telephone manner and a willingness to engage with constituents in a variety of settings are a necessity.
As large parts of the constituency are rural a driving licence and access to a vehicle would be advantageous, though the constituency office is accessible by public transport.
Job Title: Administrative Officer (Fixed term – initially 12 months with possibility of extension)
Working For: Simon Clarke MP (Middlesbrough South & East Cleveland)
Location: Constituency Office (Guisborough)
Salary: Within IPSA salary guidelines
Main responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Responding to enquiries by telephone, email, post and social media
- Assisting with arrangements for events and meetings with members of the public
- Assisting with updating of social media on request
- Engaging professionally, confidentially and with care and integrity with members of the public
- Ensuring efficient record keeping and data management in line with data protection legislation
Candidates should have the following skills:
- Clear and concise writing style and strong oral communication skills.
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to prioritise and manage a busy workload
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently
- A high level of compassion and empathy
- Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Conservative Party.
- Competence in the use of Microsoft office and good digital skills
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date for applications: 28th January 2022
Start date: To be agreed with successful candidate
Interviews for those shortlisted will be held shortly after the closing date
Please send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org – any enquiries about the role should also be directed to this email address.
Please note that longlisted candidates will be asked to complete a written task prior to interviews for shortlisted candidates.